Sunday, January 17, 2010

Asparagus and Cashews



Wow it's been a little bit since I posted something here huh?

Well this time I went with a tried and true recipe Asparagus and Cashews.

It can be a little bit salty if you add too much soy sauce and the cashews can add more salt if you buy the pre-salted kind. I used them for this recipe because I couldn't find the ones with out salt at Safeway. Overall if I've got nothing in my pantry this what I always run to because I've always got rice, soy sauce and sesame oil. I guess it's got something to do with the asian cooking I do so much in my home.


So you need:

4 cups of cooked rice

For the sauce you need:

2 Tablespoons of cold water
2 Tablespoons of corn starch (Any kind will do)
1 1/2 cup of vegetable stock or water
3 Tablespoons of soy-sauce (The low sodium works the best but you can use regular)
1 teaspoon of minced ginger or ground ginger.
1 teaspoon of sesame oil. You can use the dark which makes it nutter if you can't find the light one.
Dash of pepper to taste.


For content

2 Tablespoons of canola oil
3 cups of asparagus or one can
4 medium scallions but onions work just as well
1 small can of mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon of mince garlic
1 cup raw cashews

Cook the rice while your getting everything together.

Stir in the water and cornstarch in a bowl until smooth. Then add the remaining items and set aside.

Heat up the oil in a nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Add asparagus, scallions, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring constantly.

Then reduce the heat to medium and stir in the sauce. Cook for about a minute or until it begins to bubble and thicken. Fold in the cashews for another minute.

Then serve over white rice.

I got this recipe from The 15 Minute Vegetarian by Paullete Mitchell.
The recipe calls for red pepper flakes and red bell peppers. I don't like spice so I omitted it and I didn't have any red bell peppers so I used the mushrooms instead it still makes a great dish no matter what you put in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment